Suggested prices for haircuts
|30 mins||45 mins||60 mins||90 mins|
|Pay It Forward||Suggested £20-£40+||Suggested £30-£50+||Suggested £40-£60+||Suggested £60-£90+|
|Pay What You Can||Suggested £2-£10+||Suggested £2-£15+||Suggested £2-£20+||Suggested £2-£30+|
For more information on our pricing structure scroll down to the Q&A section.
How do I know which price bracket I fall into?
We’ve created a basic guide to help people identify themselves in our price guide:
|Payment type||Impact||Who is this aimed at?|
|Pay It Forward||This price is above the cost of delivering the service, and surplus will go towards subsidising a client who requires a Supported or Pay What You Can price.||This price is aimed at people who are able to meet their basic needs and have extra disposable income to pay a solidarity price.|
|Standard||This price covers Open Barbers’ costs in delivering the service.||This price is aimed at people who are able to meet their basic needs and have enough to live on.|
|Supported||This price is lower than the cost to deliver the service, and relies on being supported by a client who can Pay It Forward.||This price is aimed at people who struggle to meet their basic needs and who could do with support to get by.|
|Pay What You Can||This price is significantly lower than the cost to deliver the service, and relies on our Pay It Forward and Patreon fundraiser to cover Open Barbers’ costs.||This price is aimed at people who rarely meet their basic needs and rely on support to get by.|
What if I have to cancel?
- Appointments under 90 mins – 24 hrs
- Appointments above 90 mins – 48 hrs
For late cancellations we email clients to request a donation for the missed appointment unless we are able to fill it. We are understanding of the various reasons people can’t make their appointments and we kindly appreciate donations from those who can afford it.
To cancel or change your appointment:
- Click on the link on your booking confirmation text or email (more than 24/48 hours notice is required)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text / call +44(0)7546 017849
- Social media sites (least reliable method!)
Why are prices set like this at Open Barbers?
Since day one of founding Open Barbers, we have offered services on a ‘sliding scale’ principle. We wish to remain welcoming and affordable to everyone in our community, and we don’t want anyone to feel priced out of our services, however we need to introduce clearer guidelines to our sliding scale prices, to ensure that we can cover the costs of our community business.
- We haven’t provided much structure to our sliding scale price range before, and we have realised that we have been making an overall loss on all our services for the past few years.
- Thanks to a few grants during the lockdown periods of the pandemic we were able to plug those losses and subsidise all our services and keep prices low, but those grants have now ended.
- Business costs continue to rise since the start of the pandemic, including staff wage rises, products costs, energy bills and other overheads.
- We have noticed that average client payments on the sliding scale have dropped in the past year.
- This news report gives a really helpful context to the pricing challenges the hair industry is facing in general.
- We hope that by providing clearer guidance on our costs, clients can make informed choices about what to pay, balancing their own means with our needs as a business to survive and thrive. We hope that those who can afford to pay more, or sign up to our Patreon, will do so to enable those in our community who are struggling to continue to access our services.
We hope this answers any questions you may have, but if you have any further queries at all please don’t hesitate to reach out.